Friday, January 9, 2015

Chincoteague/Assateague aka The Pony Island! Havn't blogged in a bit, but here is the pre adventure blog

So next week, I leave on my next adventure to the magical horsey islands of Chincoteague and Assateague, Virginia to ride fatbikes on the beaches of the Assateague island.  I am going to bring a friend from work, and another friend who I regularly ride bikes with back in New Jersey.  This time, the adventure will not be crossing a state, or riding the west coast or anything like that.  This ride is about seeing the famous wild ponys herds of the island of Chincoteague and Assateague. We are going on the complete offseason for the normally popular tourist attraction.  I planned this adventure to be about the Legend of the wild Ponys.

I found this place because of the 32 mile island of uninterrupted beach which would make a perfect environment to ride my new fatbike build on.  I wanted to show my friends how amazing an adventure can be by planning this trip to a beach summer hotspot, but on the complete off season.  Winter is best to fatbike the trails down there because there are no flying insects during the winter months.  I got a very discounted hotel and I plan explore the island over a few days, using the room as a home base.  We leave Wednesday night from where my friend and I work, REI in Paramus, NJ. 

I am taking my super green Salsa Mukluk fatbike, and I am loaning my friend, Roddy, my blue Surly Pugsley 29+ fatbike.  My buddy Jeff is riding another Salsa Mukluk, white though.  It will be a great opportunity to get out of the NYC area and out on to a wilderness beach within a reasonable distance from home.  I hope we get some close pony encounters.

No comments: